Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 43:51 — 60.2MB)
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | RSS | More
In this episode of Conversations with Vegan Women Leaders, we interview Ingrid Newkirk, the founder and president of PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals), the largest animal rights organization in the world with 6.5 million members.
Ingrid has spoken internationally on animal rights issues, from the steps of the Canadian Parliament to the streets of New Delhi, India and been involved in many stunts across the globe to raise awareness of humanity’s cruel treatment of animals.
She’s the author of 14 books. Her latest is Animalkind: Remarkable Discoveries about Animals and Revolutionary New Ways to Show Them Compassion, which is about other species’ awe-inspiring abilities and how easy it is to treat them with respect rather than exploit them.
In this conversation Ingrid discusses:
• Working with lepers in India as a young girl as part of Mother Teresa’s volunteer team and how this shaped who she became
• What it was like for her as a woman working in law enforcement as a sheriff and poundmaster before starting PETA in 1980
• Her response to criticisms that accuse PETA of co-opting or throwing other causes under the bus in some of its campaigns
• How she handles insults and death threats aimed at her
• How she takes care of her mental health after 41 years of seeing abominable suffering inflicted on animals, and avoids burnout
• The impact of being at the helm of PETA on her personal relationships
• Why, despite everything that’s still happening to animals, she remains optimistic.
• And more
Visit the PETA website
Get a copy of Animalkind: Remarkable Discoveries about Animals and Revolutionary New Ways to Show Them Compassion
VEGAN WOMEN’S LEADERSHIP NETWORK
Find out more about the Vegan Women’s Leadership Network
Become a member of the Vegan Women’s Leadership Network
VIVAS is a global community and content hub for vegan women driven by compassion, purpose and a bit of sparkle! Join as a Premium Member here.